|Residence||Powerses' House, Elwood City|
|Family||Mr. Powers (father)|
Mrs. Powers (mother)
Chiekh's Mother (aunt)
Chiekh's Father (uncle)
|Book debut||Arthur Goes to Camp|
|Latest Appearance||Arthur Turns Green|
|Cartoon debut||"Arthur's Eyes"|
|Voice Actor||Joey Edelman (Living Books)|
Luke Reid (s1 - s4)
Steven Crowder (s5 - s6, APC)
Alex Hood (s7 - s9, PfB s1 - PfB s2)
Paul-Stuart Brown (s9 - s11)
James Buckholder (AMP)
Lyle O'Donohue (s12 - s15, PfB s3)
Siam Yu (s16 - present)
Alan Powers, better known as "The Brain", is a 3rd grade student at Lakewood Elementary. He is the smartest kid in school, being called by his nickname, "The Brain," more than his real name, Alan.
Brain is an anthropomorphic bear who wears a gray sweater with olive green pants (according to the promotional art on the cartoon's official website, he had on khakis instead) and brown loafers. In the books, he wears different-colored shirts and sweaters, and blue jeans or sometimes khakis. He has clumps of hair which are brown in the books, although the cartoon depicted the hair in thin black lines in order to simplify the animation process. He wears sneakers when playing sports. His pajamas consist of a yellow sleep shirt and orange and yellow striped pajama bottoms, and is one of the few characters to wear detailed pajamas in the animated series, while most other characters wore monochromatic pajamas in order to simplify the animation process.
On formal occasions Brain wears a charcoal or black tuxedo with two pockets on each side of the tuxedo jacket and a white tuxedo shirt with a black bow tie and matching trousers and black shoes. He also owns a grey single-breasted suit with two pockets on each side of the suit jacket. He wears a white collar shirt with a blue tie. He also wears matching grey trousers and light black shoes. He wears briefs.
He is mild-mannered and is one of the most polite characters in the series. He is an expert soccer player, despite Francine's jealousy that she was great in other sports. He is one of the few characters who are usually left-handed. His usual grade is an A that ranges between 100% and 90% as he is often considered the most intelligent student in Mr. Ratburn's class, and he often gets his work done faster than the other students.
Despite being quite well mannered, Brain sometimes has a tendency to fantasize negative and sometimes dangerous things to happen to those who have wronged him, as seen when he was defeated in a science fair by Muffy. He is also highly hydrophobic. He tends to be called upon a lot when his friends have technical difficulties but also is great fun to hang out with. In "The Wheel Deal", he suffered a leg injury and temporarily ended up in a wheelchair.
Brain is a member of Lakewood's soccer, baseball, and track teams, and plays cello in the school band. He made it to the final round of the Spell-a-thon and led the winning team of the Arithmattack competition. He is also a devout member of the school Computer Club.
He went to the preschool D.W. goes to and Arthur went to. He oddly enough had a rivalry with Binky that still lives on in the present. He was held back in kindergarten because he wasn't mature enough at the time.
According to different episodes, he will become a ground-breaking scientist and invent teleportation. He will have an entire TV network named after him. If we assume the intro of the episode, "The Election" happens, he will also become a Supreme Court Justice. In "The Contest" episode, he along with the others are shown as teenagers. He essentially looks the same with a more relaxed outfit. He wears an olive shirt with a white undershirt, blue jeans, and red sneakers, similar in design to his friends' current shoes.
Brains best friend is Arthur Read, because Brain sometimes helps him with his homework and they are sometimes seen hanging out, they also have sleepovers. Brains other loyal friends include:
Buster Baxter: Both Brain and Buster are sometimes seen hanging out and Brain ALSO helps Buster with HIS homework, just like Arthur. They are good friends and Buster likes going to his Ice Cream shop almost all the time. However, Buster can be quite annoying to Brain and they may end up getting into a bad argument, but they get over it anyway.
Francine Frensky: Francine and Brain are seen playing soccer with each other and they are also seen hanging out. However, they are almost also bad friends and ALMOST lose their relationship, which happened in the episode, "The Big Blow Up" from Season 2, they get into the worst fight that their friends had ever seen, but they finally got over it.
Muffy Crosswire: They may not be good friends, but they sometimes hang out. Brain almost befriended Muffy in the episode, "Muffy's New Best Friend", but they managed to not be friends, BUT, Muffy likes to hang out Brain and Brain wants to help her with some stuff.
George Lundgren: The Brain and George are occasionally seen together enjoying each others' company. Brain helped George get into the blues music as well as helping him understand Asperger's better.
In the Living Books computer games, the Brain had a pale cream-colored complexion in Arthur's Teacher Trouble, which was changed to light brown in Arthur's Birthday, although the final page depicted him with a pale one. It was likely due to color and tone restrictions during the 16-bit era of computers and software. The Brain's voice sounded more mature in those two games and was voiced by Joey Edelman before the cartoon show replaced him with Luke Reid. In the later games during the 32-bit era of computers and software such as Arthur's Thinking Games, his appearance was the same as he looks in the cartoon show.
- In Arthur's Perfect Christmas, Brain's dad is seen carrying one of D.W.'s classmates. This has brought up that Brain has a never before seen sibling or a cousin/other relative.
- Brain has a fear of water.
- He is very talented in soccer, on the cello, and academically, hence his name.
- In Brain's Shocking Secret from Season 11, it was revealed that Brain was actually supposed to be in the same grade as Prunella, but due to him being a "crier" he was held back a year. This could explain why he is slightly taller than most of his peers. It is also likely that he started kindergarten at the age of four, although he's currently eight years old in the third grade.
- Brain also works: He works in his family's ice cream store and teaches in summer school.
- Brain's goal is to be an astrophysicist.
- Brain tends to be a "report hog", meaning he has to do all the work for group projects.
- His usual marks are either an A or an A+, but his lowest mark seen in the show was a B-, seen in the episode Breezy Listening Blues. [Note: In the episode "Brain Gets Hooked", Brain receives a C on his Magna Carta report; however, Mr. Ratburn allows him to redo his project, and it is implied that he receives a higher grade when he presents his report the second time.]
- Alan is called by his nickname quite often, and Arthur has forgotten his first name at times; although his parents refer to him by his real name more than anyone else.
- In the earlier seasons, Mr. Ratburn and Mr. Haney referred to him by his nickname like his friends do, but in the later seasons, they referred to him by his real name Alan.
- According to the episode "Brain Freeze", Brain's grandfather was named Alan, so it's quite likely that Brain was named after his grandfather.
- The Brain is an African American, specifically of Senegalese descent as revealed in the episode "In My Africa".
- He is star forward and goalkeeper for the Lakewood Elementary Soccer Team and briefly played for the Elwood City All-Stars.
- He has a Martin Luther King Jr. poster in his room that says "I have a dream", as seen in "S.W.E.A.T."
- His initials are A.P., which is also the abbreviation for "Advanced Placement." An AP class is a high school class equal to an undergraduate class in college.
- In the episode Buster Spaces Out it is revealed Brain has family that lives in Texas.
- He is modeled after one of Marc Brown's friends with the same given name, and being nicknamed "the Brain" for his intelligence.
- Brain celebrates Kwanzaa, since his family is African-American.
- The shoes he wears resemble the brown dress shoes that Arthur wears in episodes where there are formal occasions.
- A running gag is that Brain will build robots such as the Robotic Cat and odd machines like the Tooth-Removing Machine.
- If you combine his nickname with his last name you get Brain Powers- a clever pun.
- Brain's IQ is somewhere in the high 140's.
This article's missing a appearances section. You can help by adding one!