|This article is about Binky Barnes, whose real name is Shelley. You may be looking for the first Shelley Barnes, or BINKY, the band.|
|Age||9 (s1-s9, s11-present)|
|Grade||3rd (repeating a year)|
|Residence||Barneses' House, Elwood City|
|Family||D.W. Bantam (ancestor)|
Binkford Bantam (ancestor)
Shelley Barnes (great-grandfather)
Mr. Barnes (father)
Mrs. Barnes (mother)
Mei-Lin (adopted sister)Binky's grandfather
Other Unamed relatives (seen in postcards from Binky)
|Book debut||Arthur's April Fool|
|Cartoon debut||"Arthur's Eyes"|
|Voiced by||Bruce Dinsmore|
Binky Barnes is an anthropomorphic bulldog and usually wears a long sleeved orange-pecan button up shirt, dark blue slacks, a light blue belt buckle, and brown loafers. He usually wears his shirt tucked into his pants. In the chapter book Arthur and the World Record, after the record of the tallest man in the world is mentioned, who is 8 feet, 11 inches, Binky mentions that that is twice as tall as he is, meaning that Binky measures around 4 feet, 5 1/2 inches.
For formal occasions, Binky will wear a gray polka dotted suit with a top front pocket on the right-hand side of the jacket. Binky kept 3 pencils in this pocket. The suit also has two pockets, one on each side, with the pocket on the left-hand side being slightly above the one on the right. The suit has two buttons and a black sleeve patch, one on each sleeve. He also wears a white collar shirt, a light green tie, matching trousers and black shoes. He wears green pajamas and green slippers for bed.
Though Binky is generally portrayed as the typical school bully (more so in the earlier episodes and books), he also has a softer side: he dances ballet, plays the clarinet and flute, and is a lepidopterologist (butterfly collector), but wants to keep the butterflies alive while in his collection. He usually keeps these interests private and rarely tells or shows others about them.
Binky is a keen cyclist, as well. We see in numerous episodes that Binky cycles to school and enters most cycling tournaments in Elwood City. His most treasured possession is his Lance Armstrong t-shirt.
Binky also has an interest in the fine arts. He enjoys the works of various poets and classical music composers, such as Frédéric Chopin, the great romantic composer.
He also secretly is afraid of the dark and worried about having a physical confrontation (fight) with Sue Ellen- as Binky has actually never had to fight anyone during all the years he was considered to be a bully. He is also afraid of Santa Claus, though claims not to be. He is Forward and Goalkeeper for the Lakewood Elementary Soccer Club.
Binky seems to thoroughly enjoy art as one time he put a lot of effort into correcting a picture in an art gallery, which was hung in a different way to that which the artist intended.
- Mrs. Barnes: Binky's mom is a nurse who loves her son very much, and probably isn't very aware of his bullying habits. She's very well-meaning, but occasionally can be a worrywart, as evidenced after she discovered Binky had a serious peanut allergy, during which she kept a constant watch on him. Binky seems to love her very much, as he made put a lot of effort trying to make her a rhyming card for her birthday.
- Mr. Barnes: Little is known of Binky's dad since he only appears occasionally, other than the fact that he too is very loving towards his son.
- Mei-Lin Barnes: Binky's baby sister Mei-Lin is from China and was adopted by the Barnes family very recently. At first, Binky didn't know how to open up to his new sister, but with patience and some hard work, the two of them developed a very strong bond. Binky takes good care of his sister and works hard to raise her along with his parents and is excited when Mei-Lin shows signs of growth, as he was thrilled when she learned to stand by herself.
- In the intro to the episode, "The Election", it is revealed that Binky will be a member of The United States Secret Service.
"Sometimes I just can't figure Binky out. It's like he's two different people: Bully Binky and, uh... that other guy. I think I like the other guy best."
- Binky has a liking for Chinese food.
- According to the chapter book "Arthur and the World Record", Binky is 4.458 feet (about 4 feet 5 ½ inches).
- Binky was held back in the third grade due to what was implied to be his poor academic performance, a fact he is proud of, given certain circumstances. Thus, he should have been in the fourth grade with the Tough Customers and Prunella. He is 9 years old and not the same age as the other 3rd graders, though in "Binky vs. Binky," a form he has says he is 10 years old.
- He is allergic to peanuts as revealed in "Binky Goes Nuts." However, he was originally allergic to pollen in "Francine's Bad Hair Day", but in later episodes seems to have love for flowers (especially during the song "Library Card" in "Arthur's Almost Live Not Real Music Festival") and has no allergic reactions to pollen. This is an inaccuracy not noted in the show.
- He is considered the best member of the school band due to his expertise with the clarinet, rivaled only by Sue Ellen on the saxophone, coming at a close second to Binky.
- In the episode "Bully for Binky", Binky seems to not like ballet. But in the later seasons, Binky has grown to have an affinity for it and is shown to be extremely talented at ballet.
- Binky hates going on the Science Museum field trip because he was held back and already knows what will happen.
- Binky's Birthday according to him is next month in "Brother Can You Spare a Clarinet?, when you calculate Arthur birthday plus the time Arthur said, you could determine that Binky's Birthday is in October because the episode is based in September. It is confirmed that Binky's birthday is sometime between September and May, because a score card in "Binky vs. Binky" says that he was 10 in that episode, which took place in May.
- Despite bullying George a lot, Binky has been seen hanging out with him. In some episodes, he's even seen playing with him.
- As seen in "Night Fright," Binky is revealed to have a nightlight so that he would not have nightmares. Binky also sings about this in the song "My Night Light."
- Binky's character was based on a fourth grader known to Marc Brown with a potato-like nose who tortured him and his fellow classmates at recess.
- In "The Long, Dull Winter," is is revealed that he weighs more than Sue Ellen, Muffy, and Fern combined, as he was still at the bottom on a see-saw with all of the girls on the other side. However, the see-saw may have been frozen in place by the cold weather.
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Season 4
- Season 5
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Castles in the Sky 901a
- Tipping the Scales 901b
- Francine's Big Top Trouble 902a
- George Blows His Top 902b
- Arthur Weighs In 903a
- The Law of the Jungle Gym 903b
- Buster's Green Thumb 904a
- Lights, Camera... Opera! 905a
- All Worked Up 905b
- Arthur Makes Waves 906a
- A is for Angry 907b
- D.W. Beats All 909a
- Binky Goes Nuts 910a
- Breezy Listening Blues 910b
- Season 10
- The Squirrels 1002a
- Fern and Persimmony Glitchet 1002b
- Desert Island Dish 1003a
- Feeling Flush (cameo) 1004a
- Flaw and Order 1005b
- Arthur Changes Gears 1006b
- D.W., Bossy Boots (Cameo and prologue) 1007b
- Binky vs. Binky 1008a
- Do You Speak George? 1009a
- What's Cooking? (cameo) 1010a
- Buster's Special Delivery (cameo) 1010b
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 13
- The Great MacGrady 1301
- MacFrensky (cameo) 130401
- The Good, the Bad, and the Binky 130402
- Prunella and the Disappointing Ending (cameo) 130502
- The Secret Guardians 130702
- Fernlets by Fern 130801
- Prunella and the Haunted Locker 130802
- The Pride of Lakewood 130902
- The Secret Origin of Supernova 130102
- Season 14
- Season 15
- Season 16
- Season 17
- Binky's Music Madness 1710a
- Season 18
- Best Wishes 1804a
- Season 19
- Season 20