|"Buster Hits the Books"|
|Number in season:||11B|
|Original Airdate:|| April 6, 1998|
September 7, 1998
July 20, 1999
|Written by:||Joe Fallon|
|Storyboard by:|| J. O'Neill &|
"D.W.'s Deer Friend"
"Arthur's Faraway Friend"
For the first time in his school career, Buster has to actually read a book—and he only has one week.
In the cold open, Arthur shows the viewers many different kinds of books, from fiction to non-fiction books and from picture books to chapter books. He soon runs into Buster, who asks, "Who cares about books?," making Arthur gasp in horror.
In the episode, Arthur, Buster, Brain and Fern are discussing about what books they're reading for their book reports. However, while everyone else is doing their reports, Buster just watches TV.
The next day, Arthur asks Buster what he did his book report on. Buster explains that his report was on Pa-Kanong: Creature with the Big Face. When Binky passes by and explains that he saw the movie, Arthur is shocked. Buster dismisses it, believing that all movies come from books. When he realizes that they don't, he panics.
After he is unable to find a book version of the movie, Buster briefly considers running away instead of facing Mr. Ratburn. Buster does decide to talk to Mr. Ratburn, who decides to let Buster turn in his report at the end of the week so that he won't get penalized.
At lunchtime, Buster confesses that he's never actually read a book before. His friends try to get him to read a few books, but Buster gives up, finding each book boring.
Arthur eventually gives him a book about Robin Hood. Buster starts to read it, and the next day at school, he tells Arthur that he didn't finish his book report because he spent most of the night before reading Robin Hood, because he found it to be really exciting. Buster turns in his report (albeit with a cliffhanger ending), and he and Arthur read more of Robin Hood.
- Buster Baxter
- Arthur Read
- Nigel Ratburn
- Fern Walters
- The Brain
- Francine Frensky
- Muffy Crosswire
- Binky Barnes
- James Hound
- Jimmy the Ape
- Jack Prelutsky
- Bionic Puppy
- Little Red Riding Hood
- George Lundgren
- Jenna Morgan
- Prunella Deegan
- Maria Pappas
- 4th Grade Male Rabbit
- 3rd Grade Male Dog
- 4th Grade Male Dog
- 3rd Grade Male Cat
- 3rd Grade Male Dog (Number 3)
- Beulah McInnerny
- 3rd Grade Male Rat
- Molly MacDonald
- 3rd Grade Female Aardvark
- During the Jolly Jollisters segment, you could see Buster watching himself on TV.
- This episode features parodies of "The Happy Hollisters," (Jolly Jollisters) "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (Sam and the Sandwich Company), and the style of stories and illustrations of Dr. Seuss.
- Buster mentions that his dad is a pilot. In the following episode, Arthur's Faraway Friend, Buster leaves for a couple of months to travel with his dad.
- There is apparently a Scare-Your-Pants-Off-Club TV show now. Buster mentions that instead of reading the SYPOC books, he watched the TV episodes.
- At the start, Mr. Ratburn can be seen writing on the blackboard with his left hand, although he is normally right-handed.
- In "Arthur's Lost Library Book", Buster is seen reading a joke book. However, in this episode it is said he has never read a book before.
- This is the first episode to use the Stampede as a title card.