Gray (s6-s15, s20)
|Residence||Francis Haney's house, Elwood City|
|Book debut||Arthur's Eyes|
|Cartoon debut||"Arthur's Eyes"|
|Voiced by||Walter Massey|
Francis Haney (formerly Herb Haney) is the former principal of Lakewood Elementary. He oversees everything happening in the school, whether it be school events, bad behavior from pupils, school renovations, etc. Besides being the principal, he is very active in the community of Elwood City, and often takes part in managing or competing in public events, especially if they are sponsored by the school. He leaves Elwood City in Season 20 to fulfill his dream of building a school in Tanzania in Africa, being temporarily replaced by Ms. Tingley.
In the first few seasons of the show, there was a running gag with Mr. Haney. He'd randomly appear with a toy or a balloon, or he'd have bad luck for no apparent reason. He would get hit by things such as burgers on the face or get knocked off of his bed by the Tooth Fairy. Most of this was due to simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Everybody would respond by saying, "Sorry, Sir". His luck has improved in later seasons, though. He also has a niece and nephew who appear in "The Return of the King" who are tutored by Mr. Ratburn's former 3rd Grade teacher, Mr. Pryce-Jones. He is also a tax customer of one of his pupil's, Arthur Read's, mother, as revealed in "Arthur's Mystery Envelope" when he gives Arthur an envelope filled with tax documents. Arthur at first thinks that it contains information regarding him, but later finds out it does not.
Mr. Haney is a bear with a light grey fur. He is often seen wearing a light blue jacket suit over a white shirt and a red and blue striped tie. He also wears dark blue pants with brown loafers and brown framed glasses. He is one of the few characters in the series depicted with fur, as opposed to a complexion like most of the characters that have human-like skin tones.
In the Arthur books, Mr. Haney is usually depicted wearing a green suit rather than a blue one. However, during Season 16 through 19 of Arthur, Mr. Haney started wearing a green suit on the show as well. In the few appearances he makes beginning with Season 20, he is back in his blue suit.
Mr. Haney is a kind character who cares deeply about the well-being of his students, but will deal a stern stance if they do anything to disrupt the day for their class or their teachers. He also can be a bit clueless, having been talked out of giving a punishment by students like Binky Barnes, though this happens only on rare occasions. He tends to be rather clumsy and becomes distracted or confused easily. He suffers from dyslexia.
- Season 1
- Arthur's Eyes 10101
- Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn 10201
- Arthur's Spelling Trubble 10202
- D.W.'s Imaginary Friend (Cameo) 10401
- Arthur Accused! 10602
- Buster Makes the Grade 10702
- Arthur's Cousin Catastrophe 10902
- Arthur Writes a Story 11201
- Arthur and the True Francine 11402
- Arthur, World's Greatest Gleeper 11702
- D.W.'s Snow Mystery (Mentioned) 12201
- Misfortune Teller 12302
- Arthur's Substitute Teacher Trouble 12702
- My Club Rules 12901
- Season 2
- Season 5
- The Lousy Week (Cameo) 50501
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Buster's Special Delivery 101002
- Season 11
- Season 13
- Season 15
- Season 16
- Season 19
- Season 20
- The Hallway Minotaur 200701
- Season 21
- Muffy Misses Out 210401 (cameo)
- Mr. Haney is seen walking past the library with a dog on a leash pulling him in "D.W.'s Imaginary Friend".
- In "The Boy with His Head in the Clouds", he is revealed to have dyslexia.
- In the early Arthur books before the cartoon, Mr. Haney was known simply as "The Principal", and he wasn't given a name until the book Arthur Meets the President and the cartoon show.
- Mr. Haney is only ever referred to as "Sir" by his students in "Arthur vs. the Piano".
- As revealed in "D.W. Tricks the Tooth Fairy", Mr. Haney is single.
- In the early season of Arthur, certain items are shown that look like him. In "Arthur's Birthday" we see a piñata that looks like Mr. Haney. In "Arthur Bounces Back", when he presses a button on a toy robot, it changes into Mr. Haney.
- According to wetalearningmedia, Marc Brown tells the viewers at home that Arthur's principal, Mr. Haney was his principal at Lakewood Elementary. That's who he is based on.
- Mr. Haney is revealed to be one of Mrs. Read's customers in Arthur's Mystery Envelope.
- Mr. Haney's first name was Herbert before season 11.
- After Mr. Haney's voice actor passed away in 2014, Mr. Haney was effectively written out of the show by having his character travel to Africa in Season 20, with Ms. Tingley assuming the role of school principal on a temporary basis. Contrary to this, Mr. Haney had a brief cameo at Lakewood in the Season 21 episode "Muffy Misses Out". He was also a guest at the Halloween party in the Arthur and the Haunted Treehouse. He did not speak in either instances.
- In the earlier seasons, Mr. Haney have been seen landing in unfortunate events including when he gets hurt in Arthur vs the Piano and when burgers fall from the sky onto his face in Arthur's Cousin Catastrophe.
- Main article: Francis Haney/Gallery