The term human is used in the TV show, despite all of the characters appearing as anthropomorphic animals. Instances include:
- Poetry Club (track): Buster: "Finding a human bone in your jello"
- Mrs. Tibble in Arthur's Halloween and she and the Tibble twins in both Arthur Babysits and D.W.'s Guide to Preschool, although all 3 become bears in the cartoon
- Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn: Buster: "Get with it, Arthur. We're not dealing with a human being here. This is serious!"
- The Last of Mary Moo Cow: "only one person stands between crime and humanity"
- You Are Arthur: in the introduction "Human treasure, lad, not buried treasure"
- Arthur Loses His Marbles (episode): Buster: "Oh, the humanity!,"