|Hair color||Brown (s1-s15)|
|Residence||Prunella's House, Elwood City|
|Family||Wanda Deegan (mother) |
Unknown Male Adult Poodle (father?)
|Book debut||Arthur's Teacher Trouble|
|Cartoon debut||"Arthur's Eyes"|
|Voiced by||Tamar Kozlov (TV series)|
Wendee Lee (Arthur's Missing Pal)
Bianca Rasmussen (Living Books)
Prunella is a tall, slender anthropomorphic poodle with curly auburn hair and black dot eyes. In almost all of her appearances, she is shown wearing a short turquoise dress. She occasionally has whites for eyes when she expresses surprise about things happening (although in the books, she was sometimes illustrated with visible whites around her eyes as well as the other characters, who were randomly drawn to have white or black eyes). During formal occasions, she wears a light blue dress with white strings that she ties together. From season 16 onwards, her hair has become a brighter red color.
Prunella is fairly smart, superstitious, a little bit selfish, and at times can be a bit of a snob. She often thinks that she is better than everybody at everything just because she is one year older than the third graders.
Prunella likes to tell the 3rd graders stories of when she was in Mr. Ratburn's class, though she tends to exaggerate. For example, in "Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn", she tells the kids going into Mr. Ratburn's class that Mr. Ratburn eats nails for breakfast. She has also told kids other stories that they believe, but later they figure out that what she tells them is far from their actual experience of 3rd grade.
Prunella can be influenced by Muffy, even though they do not hang out with each other very often. For example, she hates kickball because she doesn't want to get her shoes dirty and she desires the finest clothes. She even acts like Muffy, like when she wanted new, hip pants called "Flash Pants".
She is also known to have a compulsive hoarding disorder as seen in the episode "Prunella the Packrat", where she tries to save items she believes are important to her when she is told to clean out her closet.
Prunella is a major Henry Skreever fan along with her best friend Marina. They both have all of the books, loads of Henry Skreever merchandise, and even have Henry Skreever themed slumber parties.
Along with Henry Skreever, she enjoys fortune-telling (such as using a crystal ball, reading I Ching, You Ching and playing cootie catcher), yoga, and paranormal phenomena. However, her predictions are usually not accurate. Instead, she incorporates the prediction with an object in the room she is in.
At school, Prunella takes shop class, plays trombone in the school band, and competes on the Lakewood Elementary baseball team. She served on the decorating committee of the Earth Day Fair and paints sets for plays at school. All in all, she is very active in school activities.
Prunella lives in Elwood City with her mother and older teenage sister Rubella. Prunella has a father who lives with her, but it is assumed that he works a lot because he is never home. He appeared momentarily in the episode "The Chips are Down" at Rubella and Binky's ballet recital. She is nicknamed "Pruney" by her mother.
- Marina Datillo: Prunella's best friend. They both like Henry Skreever and they play games related to it at each other's houses.
- Muffy: Prunella's second best friend. Even if they don't hang out much Prunella acts a lot like Muffy sometimes, such as shopping (usually for new clothes). Prunella was once jealous when she didn't get to buy flash pants that Muffy bought and enjoyed. It is revealed in the episode Sue Ellen Moves In that at first they hated each other but eventually learned to get along.
- Francine: They don't hang out much and they don't share a lot in common, even though they are friends. Francine once bought her a second Polly Locket for her 10th birthday in "Prunella Gets it Twice", and she also cheated Francine into thinking Arthur was in love with her in "Arthur and the Square Dance."
- Brain: Prunella and Brain are both smart but they rarely hang out with each other. However, Prunella did manage to keep Brain's secret of being held back in kindergarten in "Brain's Shocking Secret". In "The Blizzard," it could be implied that their mothers are friends because Brain just happens to be at Prunella's house during most of the episode.
- Jenna: In Arthur Goes Crosswire, she is seen with Jenna throughout the episode.
- Season 1
- Arthur's Eyes 10101
- Francine's Bad Hair Day 10102
- Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn 10201
- Arthur's Spelling Trubble 10202
- Arthur's Pet Business 10501
- Locked in the Library! (Cameo) 10601
- Arthur Goes to Camp 10701
- Arthur Babysits 10901
- Francine Frensky, Superstar 11002
- Arthur's Baby (Cameo) 11101
- Arthur and the True Francine (Cameo) 11402
- Arthur and the Crunch Cereal Contest (Cameo) 11601
- Arthur, World's Greatest Gleeper (Cameo) 11702
- Sue Ellen Moves In 12101
- Team Trouble 12202
- Bully for Binky 12301
- Misfortune Teller 12302
- Arthur Cleans Up 12502
- D.W.'s Blankie 12701
- The Scare-Your-Pants-Off Club 12802
- Stolen Bike 12902
- Arthur's New Year's Eve 13002
- Season 2
- Arthur Meets Mister Rogers 20101
- Arthur Makes a Movie 20401
- Francine Frensky, Olympic Rider 20502
- Buster Baxter, Cat Saver (Cameo) 20601
- Arthur's TV Free Week 20701
- Night Fright 20702
- The Big Blow-Up 20802
- The Short, Quick Summer 20902
- D.W. Goes to Washington (Dream sequence only) 21001
- Arthur's Mystery Envelope 21002
- Buster Hits the Books (Cameo) 21102
- Arthur and the Square Dance 21202
- Water and the Brain 21301
- Grandma Thora Appreciation Day (Cameo) 21501
- Fern's Slumber Party 21502
- Love Notes for Muffy 21601
- D.W. Blows the Whistle (Cameo) 21602
- D.W.'s Very Bad Mood (Cameo) 21802
- Finders Key-pers 21902
- Sue Ellen's Little Sister 22002
- Season 3
- Season 4
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 13
- Season 14
- Season 15
- Season 16
- Season 17
- Speak Up, Francine! 170601 (cameo)
- Season 18
- Season 19
- Season 20
- Season 21
- It is revealed in Arthur's Spelling Trubble that Prunella is a great speller, but soon lost the crown to Arthur.
- Her surname, Deegan, was taken from one of the writer's last names, Jacqui Deegan.
- She has been seen erroneously in Nigel Ratburn's class several times, due to the fact that she was in his class the previous school year.
- She sometimes is erroneously referred to as a rat, despite the shape of her ears and lack of whiskers.
- Prunella's bedtime is 10:00 PM.