|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the book, the VHS, the 2002 DVD, or the 2011 DVD.|
|"The Good Sport"|
|Number in season:||9a|
|Original Airdate:|| November 19, 2001|
|Written by:||Kathy Waugh|
|Storyboard by:||Jeremy O'Neill|
"For Whom the Bell Tolls"
Francine makes no effort to hide her hurt feelings when Jenna gets the Athlete of the Year award instead of the "rightful" recipient — Francine. Then figure skater Michelle Kwan explains a few things about good sportsmanship.
The show opens when Arthur asks the viewers if any of their friends will remember him if they become famous, then it goes into a fantasy of Brain winning the Nobel prize. It cuts back to current times with D.W. telling the camera man that Arthur fell down. Francine sends Arthur an invitation to the 2014 Team Winter Games. She tells him that all he has to do is write an essay on why he wants to see Francine win a gold medal. After Francine left, Arthur tells the viewers that Francine is the only friend that he knows is a legend in his mind. D.W. tells Arthur that Michelle Kwan did the toothpaste commercial, but Kwan corrects D.W., and states that she is an ice skater. D.W. gets upset that she has never seen a celebrity.
Lakewood is determining the Athlete of the Year and Muffy is convinced that Francine will win. However at the ceremony, Jenna won the award instead of her. Later, she confronted Mr. Haney about it and there is a reason why Jenna won the Athlete of the Year award: she excels at sports Francine doesn't like. She discusses this with Muffy, who plans to make a petition to make Francine the Athlete of the Year.
Unfortunately, her signature is the only one on the petition. So Francine and her friends choose to give her a party, which flops. When Jenna sees the posters for the second party, she tells them to cease and she runs in the girls' restroom. Muffy goes to confront Jenna saying it was Francine who deserved to win that award but Jenna angrily and sadly admits that she's knows Francine should have won and sick that she is rubbing it in her face and runs out of the girls' restroom crying. Francine heard the whole thing and feel guilty and tried to give an apology, but Jenna ran off and when Muffy think she did a good job telling her off, Francine just tells her to stuff it much to Muffy suprised.
That night, Francine sees Michelle Kwan on TV and saying how ice skating is dumb and how she can do it easy then she has a dream that Michelle Kwan is teaching her to skate. Francie keep on falling and admits that skating is actually hard and it is not easy as it looks. The next day, she and Jenna forgive each other, finishing the episode.
- Bitzi Baxter
- Alan Powers
- George Lundgren
- Sue Ellen Armstrong
- Maria Pappas
- Fern Walters
- Unknown Female Bear (Number 2)
- Unknown Female Bear (Number 3)
- Mrs. Morgan
- Mr. Morgan
- The Justin Bradley version of this episode story is available on the VHS and DVD editions of The Good Sport.
- Mrs. Morgan has orange hair instead of black.
- Jenna is gray for the majority of the episode, while she is her normal pink color a few times as well.
- Jenna Morgan was seen drinking milk. The later episode "Binky Goes Nuts" reveals she is allergic to it.
- This episode is one of two episodes before season 14 (season 16 in the U.S.) that uses an irregular title card which is not seen again, the other being "Buenas Noches, Vicita". The title card is of Francine watching Michelle Kwan jump and spin on the ice.
- Michelle Kwan is the seventh guest star on Arthur.