|"The Short, Quick Summer"|
|Number in season:||9B|
|Original Airdate:|| October 30, 1997|
December 4, 1997
|Written by:||Joe Fallon|
|Storyboard by:||Denis Banville|
"D.W. Goes to Washington"
As summer vacation draws to a close, Arthur wonders where the time went.
The episode begins on the last day of school. Arthur then shows his list of stuff he has planned to do over the summer and thinks about them. Then the bell rings, and Arthur walks out knowing summer's here.
The Short, Quick Summer
Two months later, Arthur is devastated to hear that school begins next week. So he goes to find his list while hearing from his friends what they did this summer. Buster saved the carousel from Mr. Crosswire, Binky invented a mud sled, Francine and Prumella are digging a hole to find a mineral that predicts the future, Fern won a contest, and Sue Ellen learned to use magic cards, but it didn't help Arthur. On the way home, Arthur saw that Francine and Prunella filled up the hole and planned to try again next summer.
When Arthur got home, he found his list (as it was stuck to the back of his bedroom door), but realized it's too late. When D.W. asked Arthur to read the list to her, Arthur does. He soon realized that he was all wrong, because he did do everything on the list, much to D.W.'s dismay. She remarks, “I was trying to make him feel rotten, and he feels great. I’m a failure as a little sister”.
On the last night of summer, Arthur, Francine, and Buster roasted marshmallows on the grill while imagining themselves as cowboys in the Wild West, ending the episode.
- The deck of cards Mr. Ratburn used had 3 black aces. The standard number is 2, so that could be a special deck made specifically for that trick.
- This is probably the first episode of season 2 chronologically as it deals with the events leading up to the beginning of the school year.
- The three books referenced by Arthur's imagination are:
- D.W. said that Kate said her first word, even though it technically wasn't a word. However, D.W. also states that Kate had already said her first word in "The Perfect Brother".
- Arthur was in his room when he was looking for his list and it wasn't there. But later in the episode it's on his door.